Saturday, April 19, 2008

Adventure to the top of a mountain

While I was in Gatlinburg Tenn. I had decided to take a hike by myself. So I logged on the internet and found a mountain climb trail that would be challenging. Now you need to know I have never done climbs like this before. So I was not certain what I was in for. I started out early in the morning while everyone was asleep. Unfortunately it was raining. I headed out anyway. I found the trail head after asking directions and driving way out to the way. This trail was the Chimney top trail.
It was over a 1400 foot climb. So I started while it was raining but it soon stopped and I tried to enjoy the scenery. The views were beautiful. As you progress along the trail you cross bridges and rock waterfalls. Part way up the hill you start hitting switch backs and a huge rock stair case. When you are 3/4 the way up you start to notice you are going around the mountain. You are no longer on the same side. Now think how I am feeling. I am in a different state, by myself, on a strange mountain, with strange animals and going somewhere I had never been with no map. I was slightly nervous. Mainly because the day before we went rafting and the guide mentioned that if we hike you should not scare a bear. So I think I reach the end of the trail. There is a post where a sign used to hang. I figure that the sign used to say keep going around the bend. The problem is that you had to shimmy along a cliff wall to the other side. Well when I did the path suddenly ends. So I turn back. Going back across I realized why it was so scary. I looked down. (a long way). Come to find out 12 people had died over many years in that location. So back to the story. I sit there for around 20 minutes. Then I head back down. A short way down I come across some people and start talking. They mention the view and I said that is strange. I must not have been in the right place. So they take me back to the cliff wall. They say start climbing. Well I must say the climb was worth every minute. I felt as if I had conquered the world. It felt great to do this.

A few days later I took my nephew up with me. Hopefully that is an adventure we will both remeber.

The picture on the right is a small view from the mountain top.

My time on the first up and down. 2.5 hrs.
Rating: loved it.

No comments: